Friday, May 16, 2008

Henry and Maggie Spy a Bunny

The Bunny

Maggie and I have seen bunnies a few times around the apartments, and when we've been with Henry we've come across bunny smells (I assume that's what they were - a spot where Henry went nuts and I saw rabbit droppings). But tonight's the first time I've seen him see a bunny. I should mention that on our first walk tonight we basically just flushed kitties out of shrubbery. Only one actual sighting of a kitty fleeing, but he was really on the scent, and did a great job patrolling the area. Tonight on the last walk, when he saw a bunny it was almost like he saw a cat. He perked up, started to run for it, and then barked his head off when he couldn't get there. The barking I don't completely get - it's not a good hunting technique, it seems to me. Whatever happened to sneaking up on the prey. It was a cute juvenile bunny, and I'm glad the dogs were on leashes. We have Henry till Sunday. There's another adoption event tomorrow and his new foster mom has another commitment (volunteering at a new farmers' market opening in Athens). Wish us luck.

The Book

The Art of Racing in the Rain is completely drawing me in. But it's hard to read. No one with a sick or old dog should read it. They tell you right up front it's the last night of this dog's life. It's hard to read that part, think about our dogs not living as long as we do, think about the way they get put down.

No comments: