Monday, April 7, 2008

Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia

I talked to the person from BHRG today. There are adoption events this Sunday and next Sunday in Atlanta that I'm supposed to take him to. We've arranged for me to he his foster person for a while rather than sending him somewhere else. After all, he's my fragile guy - I don't want him to be uprooted an extra time if we don't have to. The thought of just handing him over at a Petsmart one day - argh!

But the adoption application on their website is really good (http://www.bhrg.org/online_application.htm). Only thing I can't figure out is why home visits are only listed as required for outside of the Atlanta area. I assume there are some reference checks later in the process? Other than that, this looks pretty thorough.

I so want to keep Henry!!! But, no exercise with Maggie ever again... that's not a plus. The prospect of having the apartment managers say I have to remove a pet - they won't be lenient about the time frame if things get to that point. The expense - I think Henry is going to be... well, maybe not in the Boo price rage, but not cheap. And, I want to be able to take in a needy stranger if I find another one. But, I love this guy and it kinda feels like we were meant to be together!

He's been moping this afternoon - is it because he knows what I've been saying? Is it because I took him to his old vet (to get his tapeworm medication) so I could show him off? Is it that he's sore from getting in and out of the car (we went to Maggie's vet too)?

How does a person without cheese in her house hide pills to give them to a dog? Cold butter! Fake butter of course. Worked like a charm.

1 comment:

Megan said...

You can put the pills in peanut butter. If you keep a jar of PB in the fridge, it gets thicker and will hold the pill better. Of course, a Labrador will never investigate the lump of peanut butter to see if there is anything inside--he just swallows it right down. I'm hoping Basset's are the same...