Saturday, April 26, 2008

Why We're Going to the Adoption Event

Henry on Match.com

Check out Henry's Match.com (well, Athens Canine Rescue) profile: http://www.athenscaninerescue.com/Henry.htm

Isn't that cute? Whoever wrote the blurb is good at it.

Why Henry is Leaving

OK, I've been hearing from more people who want me to keep Henry, and it's probably largely because I am only telling you how sad I'm going to be when he leaves.

But it's really too much for me to keep him. Remember how when we first got our dogs we all felt like we had to stay home with them so much? Well, I'm going through that again with Henry. Also, the walking. It's SLOW - time consuming, and there's no exercise in it for Maggie or me. So I walk him, then don't go out again with Maggie or alone - so I'm getting no exercise. Also, he really craves outdoor access and a chance to run around and chase the things he chases. We went to Memorial Park yesterday, a dog run that's actually FENCED IN! (novel concept). He ran around and checked things out and barked at them and did his thing again and again. He had a great time. It was a beautiful thing to see. There is poison ivy and poison oak ALL OVER that park. Dogs go through poison ivy. I've learned that people really do get poison ivy from contact with dogs who go through it. So we came home (Henry, Maggie and I) and all took baths. That was the messiest grossest bathroom. I can't go through that every single time I want to let the guy run a little.

My job is really stressful right now. I've got a paltry percentage of students with jobs, just 2 weeks before graduation. That's a stat I get measured on. That, and others that depend on that. I'm overextended from having Henry for a month, and from being out of the office for 2 weeks, and from the normal little challenges of life.

I need a little breathing room. It's just too much for me at this point.

And, I can't deal with that kind of stress like I felt on Monday night when I got the harsh notice from the apartment complex. Yes, I get that everyone is mad at them - and I appreciate your having my back! But I don't want to have to move in a month. He's doing better, but I need a feeling of security about where I live.

I really think Henry will be okay in a new place. And I really think we will be okay too.

Think of how many dogs you love that aren't your dog. How when you're getting to konw a new dog - discovering their little quirks - everything is so charming. And it is! But I don't think if he goes to another home I'll never fall in love again. :-) And I don't think that he will never fall in love again either. I am really hoping that I can stay involved with him - babysit for his foster Mom, or meet them at poison ivy central, or go visit, or whatever.

I too wish we could make this the romantic outcome - I could have a little cottage with some space around it and a fenced yard. But I'm not there right now. And even so, I really believe that this will work out so that everyone is fine. Of course, I hope he doesn't feel sad/depressed/dumped even for a little while, but that may be unrealistic.

BB

I found a round hard thing in his ear that moves around. It's like a BB in there, so now I'm wondering if he's been shot. I hope not. And when you run up to him or come up standing over him, he just cowers. I think he was mistreated.

Bath

So, yesterday, after we got back from poison ivy central and I bathed him, Maggie, and me. What a mess that bathroom was!!! Henry, who never gets on the bed or chair, and only occasionally gets on the sofa, went from one to the other, and sat his wet self right down on my bed. Maybe he just wanted something to dry him - but I think he was also making a statement.

No comments: