Monday, April 28, 2008

He's Gone

Last Night

Last night Henry went to his new foster home. I felt relieved that it wasn't impossible to do - I had been so scared I wouldn't be able to. I had wanted to have the new foster mom come here and meet him, then us meet again, then have her come get him for good. None of that was realistic. I just took him to her house. Her dog and Maggie played - so rare - it was cute. Henry just sniffed everything all over the house while we talked about him and what was happening. After 1/2 hour or so, when it was time to go, I told him what was happening (I had taken a cue from Michele W. and explained it to him earlier, on Saturday or earlier Sunday). And he and she walked me out. He tried to come with us, but she had him on a leash, and he didn't appear distressed or make noise or anything.

After I left, I felt almost giddy at some points, glad to have him on the road to the right permanent home for him where he's fully settled. And glad for me to be back to what's manageable. A feeling of completion and success. And good about the person keeping him. Plus, we're keeping him next week - May 6-10 when his new foster mom Stacey is out of town for work.

Today

This morning too I felt good to being back to a one-dog household. It's so easy. And I can take control of the house again. Etc.

But now I'm missing him. As the day went on I've been thinking of him and wondering what he's been up to. Imagining what he's feeling and whether he's feeling lonely and desserted or whether he's just living in the moment and smelling things and getting to know Edgar. Of course I've imagined the worst.

I called to check on him (no response yet - but even if she calls back she doesn't have anything to compare his behavior to). His smell is in my car still - and it is the best smell in the world.

So, in summary, conflicted.

If Rocco and Maggie Had Kids

Oh, there was a dog at the adoption event who looked like Maggie and Rocco's daughter - and her name is Maggie (http://www.athenscaninerescue.com/Mags.htm).

Terrible Emails - Ode to Vince

I went to the Farm Sanctuary co-founder's speech/reading last week and got on the list for the UGA group that does animal things, and I've gotten these two emails below. I might have to take myself off this email list. Don't want to bury my head in the sand, but there's only so much a person can take.

Today at 3:47 pm:

Please forward this plea to friends, family, co-workers in hopes someone can save this sweet boy from euthanasia. He's already neutered! Was surrendered by his owner, so his time is very limited. He could be euthanized at any time....

Thank you. Chamblee
- - - -
From: poizenivey1@yahoo.com

ANYONE? Know anyone that will take him? He is very unique looking, I think because his ears are too short. Handsome boy. Neutered then dumped. An OS so time is VERY SHORT.
So many pitties there, and this one is just different to me for some reason. Please forward to anyone you know so we can try to save his soul.


Why Choose Me?


This big boy is an owner surrender so his time here at the shelter is pretty short. He has lots of energy and is very strong. He will need someone who is willing to work with him on his leash manners. Vince enjoyed playing with the rope toy and exploring his surroundings. In the interaction pen, he enjoyed our company and being in the sunshine! According to his previous owners, he is HOUSEBROKEN!!!!!
Anne

puppy dog eyesOVER 800 homeless pets are killed EVERY hour due to overpopulation. Please spay/neuter companion pets. DONT LITTER! puppy dog eyes

And then the follow-up, at 6 pm:

Unfortunately, Vince was euthanized, along with fellow pit bulls Stacks and Bubba and poor Parker and Rocky.

It's too late for them, but not too late for the many others at the shelter, including the high-kill-risk pit bulls Juno, Frankie, Lucy, Guiness, Thelma and Louise. Please share their pictures and stories with friends, to perhaps spare these dogs the same fate as Vince and the others.

http://www.athenspets.net/adoptables.html

Also, if you are in favor of the proposed spay/neuter ordinance for Athens-Clarke County, PLEASE let our Mayor and Commissioners know!

No comments: